2014: A year of NEW?

January 03, 2014
Changing Seasons

Changing Seasons

Coffee steam rose from our mugs as we discussed the grief that comes with each new season. Even if the change is good, such as a promotion, a baby or a new friendship, there is something lost.

Sometimes we feel the loss intensely, other times it is subtle.

As I think about 2014, the word that comes to mind is NEW.

A small life is growing inside me. In July 2014 Jonathan and I will welcome our first child into the world. New life.

I’m excited and nervous about becoming a mother and then returning to work 2 and a half months later. New role.

Every day I notice subtle changes in my body as it shifts and makes room for this growing life. New shape.

Writing. Now that I have self-published my first eBook, what project will I work on next? Even though I began the journey of writing in November 2012, this upcoming year will hold new lessons, opportunities and challenges. New journey.

When I think about this season of embracing the new, I am filled with joy and my eyes mist over from the goodness of the opportunities I have been given, but there is a part of me that grieves. Change is difficult and there are things lost in the embracing of the new.

I grieve the loss of extended uninterrupted time with Jon and the loss of my body’s familiarity. Although it’s uncomfortable to grieve and admit the loss, if I do not, my soul will remain small and unable to embrace the new.

Grieving cleanses and heals us, making room for the new.

We cannot keep adding to our lives without letting some things go. This is the heart wrenching part. We release seasons, routines, projects, and sometimes the people we have loved to embrace the new.

A new year can begin only because the old year ends.

Madeleine L’Engle

What are the NEW things you have coming this year? How will you grieve and celebrate these changes?

I love hearing from you.

10 Comments. Leave new

Anna Lisa Toews
03 January 2014 10:26 am

I am so glad you are focusing on the new while grieving the things that are passing away. It’s vital that we acknowledge both! Stay strong my sister. :-)

shirleen little
03 January 2014 4:47 pm

It’ refreshing to start a new year that’s what I need. Now new moments are waiting and unfolding, completing the hour. I look forward to visits with neighbors I only met last year. It’s a delight hearing this is your first child. This New Years seems like a wonder and as a senior I look ahead wanting to write. .S. Carol

I love how beautifully you put “new moments are waiting and unfolding, completing the hour.” May you find the time and inspiration to write many words this year!

Sharon Gainey
16 January 2014 6:39 am

Just sitting here catching up on your posts. Congratulations on the birth of your son!
My motto made on New Years Eve was “New Year, New Beginnings”. Pretty ironic aye!

That’s awesome! Our motto’s are so similar :)
We actually find out the gender of our baby on February 20th. Baby is due July 6th.

and guess what! We are having a boy :0)

shirleen little
13 February 2014 8:04 am

I have some grief that we have a drought as this season of winter ends and we need rain!! I had a career in Horticuture over twenty years and I had a garden while raising my children. Our planet w ofcourse brings me passion and beauty. I write about it with I hope a ‘green voice’ and I ask God to hear our love and our passion. I’m looking forward to each Spring day now. Shirleen

Spring is definitely around the corner. It sounds like it may rain more this weekend – I pray it will. That’s wonderful that you have a passion for gardening and nature. I haven’t tried gardening much myself but love spending time in God’s beautiful creation. It refreshes and energizes me.

shirleen little
13 February 2014 8:12 am

The word New and a new baby is the best! How happy you must be. I am delighted for you and your husband. God Bless you three. Shirleen

Thank you Shirleen!